Place:


Little Rollright  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Rollright like this:

ROLLRIGHT (Little), a parish in Chipping-Norton district, Oxford; adjacent to Warwickshire, 2½ miles N W of Chipping-Norton r. station. Post-town, Chipping-Norton. Acres, 780. Real property, £809. Pop., 36. Houses, 6. The manor belongs to Sir J.Reade, Bart. Part of a Druidical circle is here, originally comprising 60stones, now comprising about 30, few of them rising more than 4 feet from the ground. ...


A stone of singular shape, and about 8 feet high, is 252 feet N of the circle; bears the name of King Stone; and commands an extensiveview. Five larger stones are about ½ a mile to the S E, and are supposed to have formed a kistvaen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £190. Patron, Sir J.Reade, Bart. The church is Norman, and was recently repaired.

Little Rollright through time

Little Rollright is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Rollright itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Rollright in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10131

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Rollright ".