Place:


Tenbury  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tenbury like this:

TENBURY, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Worcestershire. The town stands on the river Teme, and on the Tenbury railway, 22 miles NW by W of Worcester; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and a polling place; has, of late years, been much improved; attracts notice by the recent discovery of mineral waters at it, and by the erection of a pump-room and bathrooms; and has a head post-office,‡ a r. ...


station, a banking office, several inns, a new corn exchange, a market house, an old church restored in 1865, a Baptist chapel, a handsome national school, a workhouse , charities £80, a weekly market on Tuesday, and five annual fairs. Considerable trade is done in hops and cider; and some malting and tanning are carried on-Pop., 1,171. Houses, 234.—The parish includes Kyrewood, Sutton, and Berrington hamlets; and comprises 5,060 acres. Real property, £11,836. Pop. in 1851, 1,786; in 1861, 1,947. Houses, 386. The church and college of St. Michael are near the town; and the college is devoted to music, classics, and mathematics, and has foundation-scholarships. The head living is a vicarage, and that of St. Michael is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, of the former, £754;* of the latter, £60. Patron, of the former, the Rev. T. A. Smith: of the latter, the Rev. Sir F. A. G. Ouseley, Bart.—The sub-district contains 5 parishes. Acres, 18,164. Pop., 4,320. Houses, 875.—The district includes also Bockleton sub-district, and comprises 35,941 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £3,744. Pop. in 1851, 7,047; in 1861, 7,366. Houses, 1,523. Marriages in 1863, 43; births, 215,-of which 22 were illegitimate; deaths, 140,-of which 53 were at ages under 5 years, and 7 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 436; births, 2,060; deaths, 1,243. The places of worship, in 1851, were 18 of the Church of England , with 3,741 sittings; 1 of Baptists, with 120 s.; 3 of Wesleyans, with 228 s.; and 3 of Primitive Methodists, with 170 s. The schools were 8 public day-schools, with 475 scholars; 14 private day-schools, with 195 s.; and 11 Sunday schools, with 573 s.

Tenbury through time

Tenbury is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tenbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tenbury, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10104

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tenbury ".