Place:


Old Swinford  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Old Swinford like this:

SWINFORD (Old), a parish in Stourbridge district; comprising Stourbridge, Lye, Wollaston, Wollescott, and Upper Swinford townships in Worcestershire, and Amblecoat hamlet in Staffordshire. Old S. proper adjoins the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway, 1 mile SSE of Stourbridge; and has a post-office under Stourbridge. ...


Acres of the parish, 3,315. Real property, £48,270; of which £550 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 20,238; in 1861, 22,958. houses, 4,676. Useful minerals abound; manufactures of iron, glass, and fire-clay utensils are carried on; and ample communications, by the river Stour, by canals, and by railways, exist. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £781.* Patron, the Earl of Dudley. The church is good. The p. curacies of Stourbridge-St. John, Stourbridge-St. Thomas, Lye, Wollaston, and Amble-coat are separate benefices. There are numerous dissenting chapels, several endowed schools with aggregately £3,029 a year, and charities £130.

Old Swinford through time

Old Swinford is now part of Dudley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dudley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Old Swinford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Old Swinford, in Dudley and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10102

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Old Swinford ".