Place:


Stoke Prior  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke Prior like this:

STOKE-PRIOR, a parish, with a village, in Bromsgrove district, Worcester; on the Birmingham and Worcester canal, and on the Bristoland Birmingham railway, 2 miles SSW of Bromsgrove. It has a post-office under Bromsgrove, and a r. station, called Stoke-Works, with telegraph. Acres, 3,820. Real property, £23,017. ...


Pop., 1,622. Houses, 330. The property is much sub-divided. Finstall Park and Oak Hall are chief residences. There are extensive salt works, flour mills, brick and tile works, and a quarry. The living is a vicarage, united with St. Godwald, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £310.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of W. The church ranges from Norman to later English, and has a fine later English tower. There are a chapel of ease at Finstall, two national schools, a reformatory, and charities £29.

Stoke Prior through time

Stoke Prior is now part of Bromsgrove district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bromsgrove has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoke Prior itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke Prior, in Bromsgrove and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10097

Date accessed: 15th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoke Prior ".