Place:


Severn Stoke  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Severn Stoke like this:

SEVERN-STOKE, a village and a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester. The village stands on the river Severn, 2½ miles N of Upton r. station; commands fine views of the Malvern hills; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Worcester. The parish contains also the hamlet of Kinnersley, and comprises 3, 269acres. ...


Real property, £6, 794. Pop., 679. Houses, 158. The manor belongs to the Earl of Coventry. S. End was a seat of the Lechmeres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £766.* Patron, the Earl of Coventry. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £13.

Severn Stoke through time

Severn Stoke is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Severn Stoke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Severn Stoke, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10084

Date accessed: 19th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Severn Stoke ".