Place:


Colton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colton like this:

COLTON, or Coulton, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Ulverstone district, Lancashire. The village stands between the rivers Crake and Leven, under Furness fells, 3½ miles WSW of the foot of the lake Windermere, 4½ N of the Ulverstone and Lancaster railway, and 5½ NNE of Ulverstone. ...


The parish includes also Haverthwaite and Rusland hamlets and Finsthhwaite chapelry; and the first of these has a post office under Newton-in-Cartmel. Acres, 13, 330. Real property, £8, 814. Pop., 1, 794. Houses, 340. The property is subdivided. The surface shares in the fine scenery of the Furness fells and tlhe Lake country. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £110. Patrons, the Landowners. The church is tolerable. The p. curacies of Haverthwaite, Rusland, and Finsthwaite are separate benefices. There is a Baptist chapel. A school has £67 from endowment; and other charities £14.—The sub-district contains also four townships of Ulverstone parish. Acres, 22, 486. Pop., 3, 838. Houses, 730.

Colton through time

Colton is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Colton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colton, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10055

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Colton ".