Place:


Chipping  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chipping like this:

CHIPPING, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Clitheroe district, Lancashire. The township lies on a branch of the river Hodder, 3¾ miles NW of the Longridge railway, and 7 E by S of Garstang; and has a post office under Preston, and fairs on Easter Tuesday and 24 Aug. Acres, 5, 577. ...


Real property, £5, 567. Pop., 1, 074. Houses, 229. The parish includes also the township of Thornley-with-Wheatley. Acres, 8, 756. Real property, £8, 217. Pop., 1, 483. Houses, 311. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged, before the Conquest, to Richard de Chepin. The cotton manufacture is largely carried on; and limestone occurs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £120. Patron, the bishop of Manchester. The church was reported in 1859 to need repair. There are chapels for Independents and Roman Catholics; and charities, £260.—The sub-district contains also parts of two other parishes. Acres, 22, 226. Pop., 3, 217. Houses, 590.

Chipping through time

Chipping is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chipping itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chipping, in Ribble Valley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10043

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chipping ".