Place:


Oddington  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oddington like this:

ODDINGTON, a parish in Bicester district, Oxford; on the river Ray, and on the Roman road to Alcester, 2 miles E by N of Islip r. station, and 6¾ S S W of Bicester. Post-town, Islip, under Oxford. Acres, 1, 410. Real property, £2,086. Pop., 169. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belongs to Sawyer, Esq. A Cistertian abbey was founded at Oddington Grange, in the time of Stephen, by Sir Robert de Gait; and was removed to Thame by Bishop Alexander. A Saxon camp was on the quondam common of Otmoor; and ancient coins, pottery, and other relics have been found there. There are two mineral springs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £350.* Patron, Trinity College, Oxford. The church is of mixed architecture, partly ancient with a Norman door; comprises nave and chancel, the latter rebuilt in 1821; has a square tower; and contains a curious brass of 1500. There is a free school.

Oddington through time

Oddington is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oddington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oddington, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10025

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oddington ".