MAVESYN-RIDWARE, a parish in Lichfield district, Stafford; on the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the Trent Valley railway, near Armitage r. station, 3¼ miles ESE of Rugeley. It contains the villages of Blithbury and Hill-Ridware; and its Post town is Rugeley. Acres, 2,475. Real property, £4,920. Pop., 462. Houses, 115. The manor belonged anciently to the Malvoisins, and belongs now to Lord Leigh. Mavesyn-Ridware Hall was the seat of the Chadwicks, and is now a farm-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £438. * Patrons, Messrs. Chadwick and Lane. The church is an ungainly modern building, with an old tower; and an aisle adjoins it, containing monuments of the Malvoisins and the Chadwicks. Charities, £12.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Mavesyn Ridware CP/AP Lichfield RegD/PLU Staffordshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.