METFIELD, a village and a parish in Hoxne district, Suffolk. The village stands 2¼ miles SE of the river Waveney, at the boundary with Suffolk, and 4½ NE by E of Harleston r. station; and has a post office under Harleston. The parish comprises 2,162 acres. Real property, £3,762. Pop., 663. Houses, 141. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Metfield Hall, belongs to Mrs. Rayley. The living is a donative in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £80.* Patrons, the Parishioners. The church is old but good: and consists of nave and chancel with a tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed national school with £26 a year, and some small charities.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Metfield CP/Ch/Hmlt/AP Hoxne RegD/PLU Suffolk AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.