MOBBERLEY, a village and a parish in Altrincham district, Cheshire. The village stands on a branch of the river Bollin, near the Northwich and Altrincham railway, 3½ miles ENE of Knutsford; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Knutsford. The parish comprises 5,138 acres. Real property, £9,174. Pop., 1,245. Houses, 262. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Mobberleys, and belongs now to the Rev. G. Mallory, R. O. Leycester, Esq., and M. Blakiston, Esq. A black priory was founded here in 1206, by the Mobberleys; but was of short continuance. M. Old Hall occupies the site of the priory, and is occupied by the rector. M. New Hall is the seat of Mrs. Blakiston; Newton Hall, of G. Bird, Esq.; Holt House, of S. Hargreaves, Esq.; Dam-Head of R. Holland, Esq.; and Grove House, of Mr. Watkinson. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £750. Patron, the Rev. R. Lloyd. The church is ancient but good; has a tower of 1533, erected by Sir John Talbot; comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and porch; and contains a carved oak screen, a piscina, sedilia, a curious old painting on wood, and a monumental tablet to Lieut. Blakiston, who fell at Sebastopol. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £11 a year, and charities £20.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Mobberley CP/AP Altrincham PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.