MOGGERHANGER, or MUGGERHANGER, a village and a chapelry in Blunham parish, Beds. The village stands 1 mile SSW of Blunham r-station, 1¼ mile W of the river Ivel, and 4½ NW by N of Biggleswade; and has a post office under St. Neots. The chapelry contains also the hamlet of Charlton, and was constituted in 1860. Pop., 503. Houses, 96. Moggerhanger House is the seat of F. Dawkins, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £100. Patron, F. Dawkins, Esq. The church was built in 1861, by the late Mrs. Dawkins, as a memorial to her deceased husband, the Rev. E. H. Dawkins; is in the early Norman style, of Kempston stone and Silsoe red sandstone, with pillars of Ancaster stone; consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and apsidal chancel, with a central tower; and contains a splendid brass monument to the Rev. E. H. Dawkins, over his remains.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Blunham AP/CP Bedfordshire AncC|
|Place names:||MOGGERHANGER | MOGGERHANGER OR MUGGERHANGER | MUGGERHANGER|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.