NAPTON-ON-THE-HILL, a village and a parish in Southam district, Warwick. The village stands on an eminence, adjacent to the Oxford canal, 1 mile S W by S of that canal's junction with the Warwick and Napton canal, 3 E of Southam, and 5 E by N of Southam-Road r. station; is a pleasant place, commanding extensiveviews; was once a market-town; and has a post-office, of the name of Napton, under Rugby. The parish comprises 4, 140 acres. Real property, £8, 157. Pop., 978. Houses, 224. The property is much subdivided; but much of itbelongs to Sir F. Shuckburgh, Bart., and to Warwickhospital. A large reservoir of the Oxford canal is here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £450.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and was completely restored in 1861. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £45.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Napton on the Hill CP/AP Southam RegD/PLU Warwickshire AncC|
|Place names:||NAPTON | NAPTON ON THE HILL|
|Place:||Napton on the Hill|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.