ALMER, a parish in Blandford district, Dorset; on an affluent of the Stour, 3½ miles S by W of Spettisbury r. station, and 7 W by S of Wimborne-Minster. It contains the hamlet of Mapperton. Post Town, Shapwick under Blandford. Acres, 1,161. Real property, £2,686 Pop., 155. Houses, 34. The manor belongs to T. S Drax, Esq. of Charborough; and much of the surface is included in Charborough Park. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £284.* Patron, Miss Drax.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Almer CP/AP Blandford RegD/PLU Dorset AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.