NORBURY, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Stockport parish, Cheshire. The village stands adjacent to the Stockport and Buxton railway, and near an affluent of the river Mersey, 1 mile S E of Hazlegrove r.station, and 3 S E of Stockport. The township contains also part of the village of Hazlegrove, which has a post-office under Stockport. Acres, 1, 410. Real property, £7, 172; of which £3, 200 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 848; in 1861, 1, 305. Houses, 248. The manor belongs to W J Legh, Esq. Coal is largely worked. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1842. Pop. in 1861, 994. Houses, 192. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £140. Patron, W. J. Legh, Esq. The church was built in 1834; is in the pointed style; comprises nave and aisles, with a low tower; and has a painted E window. There is a national school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a township, and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Norbury CP/Ch Stockport CP/AP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.