ODD-RODE, a hamlet, a township, and a chapelry in Astbury parish, Cheshire. The hamlet lies on the Macclesfield canal, and on the North Staffordshire railway, under Mowcop mountain, ½ a mile S by W of Mowcop r.station, 1 W of the boundary with Staffordshire, and 3½ S S W of Congleton. The township contains also the hamlets of Rode-Heath, Scholar-Green, Kent-Green, Thurlwood, and Hall-Green, and part of the village of Mowcop; and its post town is Lawton, under Stoke-on-Trent. Acres, 3, 692. Real property, £8, 982; of which £100 are in mines, and £67 in quarries. Pop.in 1851, 1,853; in 1861, 2, 503. Houses, 506. The increase of pop. arose chiefly from mining operations. The property is divided chiefly among thirteen. Rode Hall, a large and handsome edifice, amid tasteful grounds, is the seat of R. Wilbraham, Esq.; and Moreton Hall, a fine specimen of the timber and plaster mansions of the 16th century, is the seat of Mrs. Moreton Craigie. There are many good houses. Mowcop mountain culminates on the boundary with Staffordshire, has an altitude of 1,091 feet above sea-level, and commands an extensive and beautiful view. Coal is worked, and building-stone is quarried. Flint grinding-mills are at Bank; and a wharf of the Stonetrough Colliery company is at Kent-Green. The chapelry is somewhat less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1860. Pop. in 1861, 2, 476. Houses, 506. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £200.* Patron, the Rector of Astbury. The church stands in the centre of the township; was built in 1864, after designs by G. G. Scott; and contains 500 sittings. Wesleyan chapels are at H all-Green and Mowcop; and there are five schools.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a hamlet, a township, and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Astbury AP/CP Odd Rode Tn/CP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.