OFFCHURCH, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Warwick; on the river Leam, the Warwick and Napton canal, the Fosse way, and the Rugby and Warwick railway, 3 miles E of Leamington r. station, and 5 E by N of Warwick. Post-town, Leamington. Acres, 2, 273. Real property, £4, 144. Pop., 304. Houses, 66. The manor belonged anciently to the Mercian kings, afterwards to Coventry priory; and, with all the property, belongs now to the Earl of Aylesford.off church-Bury, an ancient stone mansion, is the Earl'sseat; and stands on the Leam, in a finely wooded park of about 250 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £140.* Patron, Lady Ayles-ford. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains several handsome monuments and tablets. There is a national school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish, with a village" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Offchurch CP/AP Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.