OXHILL, a village and a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick. The village stands on an affluent of the river Stour, 2½ miles W N W of the boundary with Oxfordshire, 3 E S E of the Fosse way, 4¼ S S W of Kineton, and 9½ S E of Stratford-on-Avon r. station. The parish comprises 1, 668 acres. Post-town, Kineton, under Warwick. Real property, £2, 527. Pop., 373. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. The parish is a meet for the Warwickshire hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £354.* Patron, W. D. Bromley Davenport, Esq. The church is Norman, with a low tower; and the chancel was recently restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Oxhill CP/AP Shipston on Stour PLU/RegD Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.