PACKINGTON (Great), a parish in Meriden district, Warwick; on the river Blythe, 2½ miles N E of Hampton-Junction r. station, and 2½ N W of Meriden. Post-town, Meriden, under Coventry. Acres, 2, 451. Real property, £3, 441. Pop., 336. Houses, 53. The manor, with Packington Hall, belonged formerly to the Fishers, and belongs now to the Earl of Aylesford. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Little Packington, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £460.* Patron, the Earl of Aylesford. The church was rebuiltby Bonomi, after the model of the temple of Pæstum. Charities, £21.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Great Packington CP/AP Meriden PLU/RegD Warwickshire AncC|
|Place names:||GREAT PACKINGTON | PACKINGTON | PACKINGTON GREAT|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.