PEMBERTON, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Wigan parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 2½ miles W of Wigan; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Wigan. The township comprises 2, 868 acres. Real property, £31, 319; of which £19, 370 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 5, 252; in 1861, 6, 870. Houses, 1, 314. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; contains Newtown, Smithy-Brook, Goose-Green, and Lamberhead-Green; and was constituted in 1838. Pop. in 1861, 8, 853. Houses, 1, 696. There are several good modern residences, an ancient half-timbered hall, coal-mines, stone-quarries, brick manufactories, cotton mills, and a famous spring. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron, the Rector of Wigan. The church was built in 1832, and is a large brick edifice. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a mechanics' institute, four national schools, and charities £14.The sub-district contains also twoother townships. Acres, 6, 263. Pop., 10, 435. Houses, 2,007.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Pemberton Tn/CP Wigan RegD/PLU Lancashire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.