PEOVER (Over), a chapelry in Rostherne parish, Cheshire; on the river Peover. 2½ miles W S W of Chelford r. station, and 3½ S S E of Knutsford. It comprisesthe townships of Peover Superior, Marthall, and Snelson; and it has a post-office under Knutsford. Acres, 5,088. Real property, £9,055. Pop., 942. Houses, 178. The property is subdivided. The manor of Peover Superior, with Peover Hall, belongs to Sir H. Mainwaring, Bart. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £180.* Patron, Sir H. Mainwaring, Bart. The church consists of nave, chancel, and two side chapels, with a tower; was mainly rebuilt in 1811; and containsmonuments of the Mainwarings. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and charities £85.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Peover Superior Tn/CP/Ch Rostherne AP/Tn/CP Cheshire AncC|
|Place names:||OVER PEOVER | PEOVER | PEOVER OVER|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.