ALDHAM, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; near Colne river, 2 miles N of Marks Tey r. station, and 5 ENE of Coggleshall. Post Town, Marks Tey under Colchester. Acres, 1,825. Real property, £2,558. Pop., 406. Houses, 94. The manor belonged to the De Veres. The property is subdivided. The place is a meet for the East Essex hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £327.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is very good. Charities, £32. Morant the historian was rector of Aldham.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Aldham CP/AP Lexden and Winstree RegD/PLU Essex AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.