ALDERTON, a parish in Woodbridge district, Suffolk; on the coast, between the Deben river and Hollesley bay, 8 miles SSE of Woodbridge r. station. It has a post office under Woodbridge. Acres, 2,543. Real property, £4,390. Pop., 634. Houses, 137. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £720.* Patrons, T. Archer, Esq., and the Bishop of Norwich. The church is a modern brick edifice; and a previous church is in ruins, and serves as a landmark. Charities, £23. Giles Fletcher, the poet, was rector of Alderton, and died here in 1623.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Alderton CP/AP Woodbridge PLU/RegD Suffolk AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.