PIMLICO, a section of St. George-Hanover-square parish, Westminster, Middlesex; extending from Buckingham-gate to Chelsea, around a convergence of railways, 3 miles S W by W of St. Paul's, London. It formerly was all open fields, belonging to the Grosvenors:it now is all a compact portion of the metropolis, well-built and well-aligned, with many magnificent edifices, and many fashionable squares, streets, and places; it contains Buckingham palace, Belgrave-square, Eaton-square, Chester-square, Ebury-square, Eccleston-square, Warwick-square, and Wilton-crescent; it has recently acquired various splendid extensions or reconstructions; it contains Victoria r. station, whence railway communicationgoes in all directions, into the city, across the Thames and into the country; it has post-offices‡ and postal pillar-boxes under London S W; and it contains a Bpolicestation, Tattershall's rooms, the Grosvenor basin and canal to the Thames, wharves, machinery works, whitelead works, cement works, saw-mills, four chapelries, four proprietary chapels, various dissenting chapels, St. Barnabas college with chapel and schools, St. Peter'sgrammar school in Eaton-square, St. Michael's schoolsin Tudor architecture, Ebury proprietary school, St. George's hospital, rebuilt in 1829, and other institutions. The four chapelries are St. Peter, St. Michael, St. Gabriel, and St. Saviour, with a pop. of respectively 14, 328, 10, 371, 7, 658, and about 8,000; and the four proprietary chapels are Belgrave, Ebury, Eaton, and Charlotte-street. The livings are p. curacies in the diocese of London. Value of St. Peter, £700; of the others, not reported. Patron of St. Peter, the Bishop of London; of St. Michael, St. Gabriel, and St. Saviour, the Marquis of Westminster; of Eaton chapel, the Rev. J. Rashdall; of Charlotte-streetchapel, P. R. Hoare, Esq.; of the others, not reported. St. Peter's church was built in 1824-7, at a cost of £5, 556. St. Gabriel's church was preceded by a temporary ironchurch, erected in 1861; and was itself built in 1865-6, at a cost of about £12,000. St. Saviour's church was built in 1864, at a cost of £12,000; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire 190 feet high. Campbell the poet lived in Victoria-square; and Wynne the engraver lived, and Mrs. Radcliffe died, in Stafford-row. See London and Westminster.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a section of George-Hanover-square parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Middlesex AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.