PORTWOOD, a chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire; on the river Mersey at the boundary with Lancashire, and within Stockport borough. It was constituted in 1844; and its post town is Stockport. Pop. in 1861, 5, 346. Houses, 1, 189. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron, alternatelythe Crown and the Bishop. The church is a recent stoneedifice, and has a handsome lofty spire.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Stockport CP/AP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.