POTT-SHRIGLEY, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Prestbury parish, Cheshire; on the Macclesfieldcanal, 2 miles E by S of Adlington r. station, and 4 N N E of Macclesfield. Post-town, Bollington, under Macclesfield. Acres, 1, 719. Real property, £2.833: of which £480 are in mines. Pop., 450. Houses, 86. Shrigley Hall is the seat of the Rev. Dr. Lowther: and Pott Hall, of G. Swindells, Esq. There is a fire-brick and chimney-pipe manufactory. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £100.* Patron, Miss Turner, The church is old but good; consists of nave, three aisles, transept, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains mural monuments of the Downes family. Charities, £10.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township-chapelry, with a village" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Pott Shrigley Ch/CP Prestbury CP/AP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.