RAINOW, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Cheshire. The village stands 2¾ miles N E of Macclesfield r. station; and is much scattered. The chapelry contains also Harrop hamlet, is in Prestbury parish, and comprises 5, 750 acres. Post-town, Macclesfield. Real property, £7, 619; of which £86 are in quarries, and £60 in mines. Pop., 1, 550. Houses, 331. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Prestbury. The church isrecent; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, three aisles, and transept, with pinnacled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £10.The sub-district contains also two other townships of Prestbury parish, and all Taxal parish; and is in Macclesfield district. Acres, 15, 995. Pop., 3, 478. Houses, 730.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Rainow Ch/CP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.