RIDGMONT, a village and a parish in Woburn district, Beds. The village stands 1 mile S S E of a station of its own name on the Bedford and Bletchley railway, and 2¾ N E of Woburn; and has a post-office under Woburn. The parish comprises 2, 248 acres. Real property, £2, 814. Pop., 1,029. Houses, 217. The manor and most of the land belong to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £233.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The new church was built in 1855; and is in the decorated English style, with tower and spire. The old church is now used only for burials. There are a large Baptist chapel, a handsome Wesleyan chapel, a national school, a British school, and charities £70.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Ridgmont CP/AP Woburn RegD/PLU Bedfordshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.