ROCK-FERRY, a village and a chapelry in Bebington parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Mersey, and on the Birkenhead and Chester railway, 1½ mile S S E of Birkenhead; consisted, about 1835, of only 3 or 4houses; is now a considerable suburb of Birkenhead; contains many handsome villas; and has a post-office‡under Birkenhead, a r. station, and a half-hourly steam-boat-ferry to Liverpool. The chapelry includes also the village and iron pier of New Ferry, and was constituted in 1844. Pop. in 1861, 2,086. Houses, 336. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £161. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1842; and is in the Norman style, with tower and spire. A Wesleyan chapel is at Rock-Ferry; and national schools and a Brethren's chapel are at New-Ferry.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Bebington AP/CP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.