ROMILEY, or Chadkirk, a village and a township-chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the Peak Forest canal, adjacent to the Manchester, Hyde, and New Mills railway, 4 miles E by N of Stockport; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Stockport. The chapelry comprises 2, 290 acres. Real property, £6, 817; of which £30 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 364; in 1861, 1, 468. Houses, 308. The property is much subdivided. Oak-wood Hall is the seat of L. Heyworth, Esq. There are two cotton-mills and extensive print-works. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120. Patron, the Rector of Stockport. The church was built in 1865. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a township-chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Romiley Ch/CP Stockport CP/AP Cheshire AncC|
|Place names:||CHADKIRK | ROMILEY | ROMILEY OR CHADKIRK|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.