Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ROSTHERNE

ROSTHERNE, a village and a township in Altrincham district, and a parish partly also in Macclesfield district, Cheshire. The village stands 3½ miles N of Knutsford r. station, and has a post-office under Knutsford. The township comprises 1, 512 acres. Real property, £2, 679. Pop., 393. Houses, 80. The parish contains also the townships of Tatton, Marthall, Mere, Peover-Superior, Tabley-Superior, Millington, High Leigh, Snelson, and part of Agden. Acres, 19,096. Pop. in 1851, 4, 190; in 1861, 4,058. Houses, 758. R. township belongs to Lord Egerton; Bollington, to the Earl of Stamford; Agden, to Sir J. L. N. Chetwode, Bart.; Mere, chieflyto T. J. L. Brooke, Esq.; and High Leigh, to Lord Egerton, E. Leigh, Esq., and G.Legh, Esq. Tatton H all is the seat of Lord Egerton; Rostherne New Hall, of the Hon. W. Egerton; Agden Hall, of T. S. Bazley, Esq.; Mere New Hall, of T. J. L. Brooke, Esq.; High Leigh Hall, of G.Legh, Esq.; and West Hall, of Major E. Leigh. Rostherne mere is a lake of 118 acres. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Bollington and Hoo-Green, in the diocese of Chester. Value, £325.* Patron, Lord Egerton. The church is debasedlater English; consists of nave, aisles, side-chapels, and chancel, with porch and pinnacled tower; and containsmonuments of the Egertons. The p. curacies of Marthall, High Leigh, and Over-Tabley, and the chaplaincy of High Leigh, are separate benefices. Chapels of ease are at Bollington and Hoo-Green; and chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, are in Millington. There are several public schools, and charities £102. Martin-dale, an ejected minister, was vicar.

(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Macclesfield RegD/PLU       Cheshire AncC
Place: Rostherne

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.