SEATON, a village and a parish in Uppingham district, Rutland. The village stands near the Rugby and Stamford railway, 2½ miles E S E of Uppingham; was known at Domesday as Segentone; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Uppingham. The parish contains also the hamlet of Thorpe-by-Water, and comprises 2,050 acres. Real property, £3, 647. Pop., 422. Houses, 89. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Robert de Todeni; passed to the Beaufoes and others; and belongs now to E. H.Monckton, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £649.* Patron, the Rev. T. Heycock. The church isold, and has a tower and spire. Charities, £12.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Seaton CP/AP Uppingham PLU/RegD Rutland AncC|
|Place names:||SEATON | SEGENTONE|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.