SEATON-CAREW, a village and a township-chapelry in Stranton parish, Durham. The village stands on the coast, near the West Hartlepool railway, 2 miles S by E of West Hartlepool; is a sea-bathing resort, with firm level sands 5 miles long; commands fine views to Hartlepool and nearly to Whitby; surrounds three sides of agreen, with the fourth side open to the sea; includes, to the S, a long line of houses facing the sea; and has a post-office‡ under West Hartlepool, a r. station with telegraph, and a hotel. The chapelry comprises 2, 870 acres ofland, and 2,015 of water. Real property, £5, 795. Pop.in 1851, 728; in 1861, 884. Houses, 187. The property is much subdivided. A Gilbertine priory, a cell to Sempringham, was here; but has left no remains. Vestiges of Roman buildings are occasionally found in the sands. Remains of fortifications, built in 1667, to defend the mouth of the Tees, are on the small promontory of Seaton-Snook, 1½ mile S S E of the village. Two lighthouses stand to the N of the village; were erected in 1839; and have fixed lights, 89 and 34 feet high. Some salmon-fishing is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £150.* Patron, the Rev. J. Lawson, The church was built in 1831. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a township-chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Seaton Carew Tn/CP Stranton AP/CP County Durham AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.