Your free text search term was WEST SHEFFORD.
SHEFFORD (West or Great), a village and a parish in Hungerford district, Berks. The village stands on the river Lambourn, 5½ miles N by W of Kintbury r. station, and 5½ NE by N of Hungerford; and has a post-office, of the name of Great S., under Hungerford. The parish contains also the hamlet of Shefford-Woodlands, which like wise has a post-office under Hungerford. Acres, 2,196. Real property, £3,806. Pop., 538. Houses, 123. The manor and most of the land belong to the Marquis of Downshire. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £856.* Patron, Brasenose College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good; and has a round Norman tower, with octagonal perpendicular upper story. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a parochial school, and charities £12.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||West Shefford AP/CP Hungerford and Ramsbury RegD/PLU Berkshire AncC|
|Place names:||GREAT SHEFFORD | SHEFFORD | SHEFFORD GREAT | SHEFFORD WEST | SHEFFORD WEST OR GREAT | WEST SHEFFORD|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.