SHOCKLACH, two townships in Wrexham district, and a parish partly also in Great Boughton district, and all in Cheshire. The townships are S.-Church and S.-Oviatt; and lie on the river Dee, 4½ miles NW of Malpas, and 7½ E of Wrexham r. station. Acres, 1,239 and 1,022. Real property, £1,478 and £1,914. Pop., 180 and 168. Houses, 30 and 36. The manor belongs to Sir R. Puleston, Bart.The parish contains also the township of Caldecott, and comprises 2,691 acres. Post town, Farndon, under Chester. Pop., 414. Houses, 77.manor belongs to T. T. Drake, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £107. Patron, Sir R. Puleston, Bart. The church is ancient but good. There is a New Connexion Methodist chapel.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"two townships" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Great Boughton PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.