SHOTWICK, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The township lies 2¾ miles WSW of Ledsham r. station, and 5½ NW of Chester. Acres, 570. Real property, £819. Pop., 98. Houses, 18. The parish contains also the townships of Capenhurst, Woodbank, Little Saughall, and Great Saughall; the last of which has a post-office under Chester. Acres, 3,574. Pop., 931. Houses, 183. Shotwick manor belongs to J. N. Bennett, Esq.; Capenhurst manor, to the Rev. R. Richardson; and Saughall manors, to H. B. Trelawney, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £100.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter ofThe church is partly Norman, chiefly early English; and the chancel was recently restored. The rectory of Capenhurst is a separate benefice. There are three dissenting chapels, an endowed school, two national schools, and charities £10.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Shotwick AP/CP Great Boughton PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.