SIDMONTON, or Sydmonton, a parish in Kingsclere district, Hants; 3 miles W by S of Kingsclere, and 6½ S by E of Newbury r. station. Post town, Kingsclere, under Newbury. Acres, 4,470. Real property, £1,832. Pop., 149. Houses, 30. The manor belonged to Romsey abbey; and went, at the dissolution, to the Kingsmills. S. Common is a meet for the Craven hounds. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Echinswell, in the diocese of Winchester. The church has a Norman chancel arch.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Sydmonton Ch/CP Kingsclere PLU/RegD Hampshire AncC|
|Place names:||SIDMONTON | SIDMONTON OR SYDMONTON | SYDMONTON|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.