ADLINGTON, a township in Prestbury parish, Cheshire; on the river Bollin and the Northwestern railway, 5 miles N of Macclesfield. It has a station on the railway. Valuable mines of coal and flagstone are in the neighbourhood. Acres, 3,350. Real property, £7,583. Pop., 987. Houses, 187. Many of the inhabitants are silk-weavers. Adlington Hall is an old seat, and was taken, in 1645, by the Parliamentary forces, after a fourteen-days' siege. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Adlington Ch/CP Prestbury CP/AP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.