ACKWORTH, a parish in Hemsworth district, W. R. Yorkshire; 3½ miles S of Pontefract r. station. It con tains Ackworth village and three hamlets, and has a post office‡ under Pontefract. Acres, 2,270. Real pro perty, £9,725. Pop., 1,813. Houses, 333. A. Park, A. House, and several good villas are chief residences. Stone is largely quarried; and the kennels of the Badsworth hunt are here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £403.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church was rebuilt in 1851. There are chapels for Quakers, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics, a large and famous Quakers' school, a training school for masters, two endowed schools, two other public schools, and charities £144.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Ackworth AP/CP Hemsworth PLU/RegD Yorkshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.