ACASTER-SELBY, a township-chapelry in Stillingfleet parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ouse, 3 miles E of Bolton-Percy r. station, and 8 S of York. Post Town, Tadcaster. Acres, 1,523. Real property, £2,638. Pop., 154. Houses, 26. The property be longed anciently to the Abbey of Selby; and it still is undivided. A college for a provost and two or three fellows was founded on it by Robert Stillington. The chapelry was constituted in 1850, and is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £40. Patron, Sir W. M. Milner, Bart. The church is very good.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township-chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Yorkshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.