Your free text search term was SPEEN.
SPEEN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Newbury district, Berks. The village stands on Icknield-street, 1½ mile NW of Newbury r. station; occupies the site of the Roman station Spinæ; and has a post-office under Newbury. The parish includes the chapelries of Speenhamland and Stockcross, and the tythings of Bagnor, Church-Speen, Marsh-Benham, and Wood-Speen. Acres, 3,780. Rated property, £10,706. Pop., 3,311. Houses, 718. The property is much subdivided. S. manor belongs to Earl Craven; and Church-S. manor to H. Best, Esq. Benham Park was the residence of the Margrave of Anspach. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of b. The church was rebuilt in 1860. The p. curacies of.Speenhamland and Stockcross are separate benefices. Charities, £38.The sub-district contains 4 parishes. Acres, 21,108. Pop., 7,580. Houses, 1,668.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Speen AP/CP Speen SubD Newbury RegD/PLU Berkshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.