STANDGROUND, a parish, with a village, in the district of Peterborough and counties of Huntingdon and Cambridge; on the river Nen, 1¼ mile SE of Peterborough r. station. It includes Farcett chapelry; has a post-office under Peterborough; and comprises 4,377 acres in Hunts, and 1,321 in Cambridge. Real property, £15,298. Pop., 1,839. Houses, 387. The property is subdivided. The Manor House and Gazley Hall are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £1,220.* Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is good, and has a lofty spire. There are a Baptist chapel, an endowed school with £22 a year, and charities £12.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish, with a village" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Stanground CP/AP Cambridgeshire AncC Huntingdonshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.