STANWAY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands 1 mile E of Marks-Tey r. station, and 4 W by S of Colchester; and has a post-office under Colchester. The parish contains Lexden workhouse, and comprises 3,368 acres. Real property, £5,611. Pop., 964. Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. S. Hall is the seat of G. De Horne, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £738.* Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is good; and there is a national school. See Stanway-All Saints.The sub-district contains 9 parishes. Acres, 17,338. Pop., 4,663. Houses, 918.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Stanway CP/AP Stanway SubD Lexden and Winstree PLU/RegD Essex AncC|
|Place:||Stanway All Saints|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.