Cairngall, an estate, with a mansion, and with extensive granite quarries, in Longside parish, Aberdeenshire, in the eastern vicinity of Longside village, and near the Peterhead branch of the Formartine and Buchan railway, 5 miles W of Peterhead. The estate, so late as 1804, was little better than waste moorland; but, prior to 1841, was reclaimed and improved into a condition of high productiveness and order. The quarries are situated in a hill which rises about 60 feet above the circumjacent ground; they are worked to some distance right into the hill, and then worked downward; and they have furnished some of the largest and finest blocks for public works and public buildings in the kingdom. They began to be worked, to any considerable extent, in 1808, when they were selected to furnish the blocks for the foundations of the Bell Rock lighthouse; and they furnished the blocks for the foundations of the new London Bridge, for the pier-walls of the new Houses of Parliament, for the pillars in Covent Garden Market, for the great polished monolithic pillars of St George's Hall in Liverpool, and for the pedestals of several great public statues.
(F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4); © 2004 Gazetteer for Scotland)
|Feature Description:||"an estate, with a mansion, and with extensive granite quarries" (ADL Feature Type: "land parcels")|
|Administrative units:||Longside ScoP Aberdeenshire ScoCnty|
Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.