SUTTON, a parish, with a village, in Biggleswade district, Beds: 1½ mile S of Potton r. station. Post town, Potton, under St. Neots. Acres, 2,230. Real property, £3,391. Pop., 438. Houses, 70. The manor belonged to John of Gaunt; was given by him, along with Potton, in a rhyming conveyance, to Sir Roger Burgoyne; and, with S. Park, belongs now to Lieut, Col. Sir J. M. Burgoyne, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £362.* Patron, St. John's college, Oxford. The church is good; and there are a free school, and charities £30. Stilling fleet was rector.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish, with a village" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Sutton CP/AP Biggleswade RegD/PLU Bedfordshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.