SWETTENHAM, a township and a parish in Congleton district, Cheshire. The township lies on the river Dane, 2 miles E of Holmes-Chapel r. station, and 5 NW by W of Congleton. Acres, 991. Real property, £2,098. Pop., 187. houses, 36. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to Mrs. Swettenham.The parish contains also Kermincham township, and comprises 2,200 acres. Post town, Congleton. Pop., 350. Houses, 62. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £330.* Patron, the Rev. R. Blincoe. The church is ancient. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, and charities £18.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Swettenham CP/AP Congleton PLU/RegD Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.