TANWORTH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in. Solihull district, Warwick. The village stands 4 miles NW of Henley-in-Arden, and 5 SW of Knowle r. station; and has a post-office under Birmingham. The parish is cut into 4 quarters, and comprises 9,400 acres. Rated property, £11,375. Pop., 1,946. Houses, 440. Much of the land belongs to Earl Amherst and T. Burman, Esq. Umberslade is the seat of G. F. Muntz, Esq. A very large reservoir of the Birmingham and Stratford canal is here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £507.* Patron, Earl Amherst. The church is good. A section, with a pop. of 1,142, and bearing the name of Salters-street, was constituted a separate charge in 1843; and the living of it is a p. curacy, of the value of £150,* in the patronage of the Vicar. A tower was added to its church in 1861. There are two national schools, an endowed school with £8 a year, and charities £196.The sub-district contains three parishes and two hamlets. Pop., 3,029. Houses, 680.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Tanworth in Arden CP/Ch/AP Tanworth SubD Warwickshire AncC|
|Place:||Tanworth in Arden|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.