TARVIN, a village, a township, and a parish, in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands 3 miles NE of Waverton r. station, and 5½ E of Chester; was once a market-town; and has a post-office‡ under Chester, and fairs on 20 Apriland 2 Dec.-The township includes Oscroft hamlet, and comprises 2,007 acres. Real property, £5,886. Pop., 1,074. Houses, 244. The manor belongs to Mrs. Milburn.The parish contains also ten other townships, and comprises 10,571 acres. Pop. in 1851, 3,511; in 1861, 3,319. Houses, 680. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelries of Duddon and Kelsall, in the diocese of Chester. Value, £600.* Patron, the Bishop ofThe church is chiefly later English, and has a fine tower. The p. curacy of Ashton-Hayes and the donative of Hargrave are separate benefices. Three dissenting chapels, an endowed grammar-school, and a national school are in T. township; and various places of worship and public schools are in the other townships. Charities, £276.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a township, and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Tarvin CP/Tn/AP Great Boughton PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.