TINTWISTLE, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Mottram parish, Cheshire. The village stands 1 mile NW of Hadfield r. station, and 5 E of Staleybridge: occupies a bold acclivity, rising from the river Etherow, and commanding a fine view; and has a post-office under Manchester. The township includes Arnfield hamlet: includes also, for poor-rate purposes, Micklehurst hamlet; and, with M., comprises 14,120 acres. Real property, £8,746; of which £40 are in quarries. Pop., exclusive of Micklehurst, in 1851, 3,027; in 1861, 1,691. Houses, 339. The decrease of pop. was caused partly by the removal of workmen on the Manchester waterworks and on the Manchester and Sheffield railway, and partly by the conversion of two cloth-weaving establishments into spinning-mills. The waterworks have reservoirs with capacity for 3,491,000,000 gallons-The chapelry was constituted in 1838. Pop. in 1861,3,585. Houses, 733. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1837. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a young men's institute, and national and British schools.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a township, and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Mottram CP/AP Tintwistle Tn/CP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.