TRANMERE, a township and two chapelries in Bebington parish, Cheshire. The township lies on the Mersey, and on the Birkenhead and Chester railway, around Rock-Ferry r. station, from 2 to 3 miles S of Birkenhead; and has post-offices‡ of Higher T. and Lower T. under Birkenhead. Acres, 1,559; of which 385 are water. Real property, £37,060. Pop. in 1851, 6,519; in 1861, 9,918. Houses, 1,659. All the area is within Birkenhead borough; and much of it is edificed suburbanly to Birkenhead. T. Pool, a creek of the Mersey, separates it from Birkenhead proper; a bridge over the pool connects the suburb with the town, or Tranmere ferry with Birkenhead ferry; and steamers incessantly maintain communication with Liverpool. T. Hall is an ancient edifice, commanding a fine view of the Mersey; and T. Old Hall is now a farmhouse. Ship-building and iron-founding are carried on.-The chapelries are St. Catherine and St. Paul; and were constituted in 1842 and 1856. The livings are p. curacies in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. C., £300; of St. P., £200.* Patron of St. C., the Rector of Bebington; of St. P., J. Orred, Esq. St. C.'s church was built in 1831; St. P. 's, in 1856. A Scotch church, with a neat spire, is in New Chester-road. A Wesleyan chapel, octagonaland in the modern Gothic style, was built in 1862; and there are four other Methodist chapels, an Independent chapel, a mission-house, a Roman Catholic chapel, two national schools, and charities £5.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and two chapelries" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Bebington AP/CP Tranmere Ch/CP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.